Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wireless SSIDs (was Re: WEP)

From: Willis Marti <wmarti () TAMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:22:15 -0500

 Graham wrote:
Willis Marti wrote:
we force wireless users through a VPN - achieving enryption and authenticati
on.

Thr trouble with VPNs is that unless you take special steps, the machine
is then effectively
on the inside of your firewall - and often it is a machine that is
uncontrolled and at a high
risk of virus infection etc.

Choices available are:
1) security client on the portable to verify integrity (hah) before
allowing connection
2) VPN terminates *outside* your network and clients still have to go
through firewall
3) No VPN, and only allow encrypted protocols to call in to your campus
network through
your firewall, such as SSH and Remote Desktop (which is supposed to be
encrypted although
I've never seen a good analysis of it and don't yet trust it completely)

We terminate the VPN inside our firewall and they are no more controlled than
any system in a University environment. :) But, we do know the user identity
to track them down or disable the account. Plus we put a NetSQUID box just
inside to slow down Bad Things (tm). ( http://netsquid.tamu.edu/ )

--
Cheers,
 Willis Marti