Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: WEP

From: "Gaddis, Jeremy L." <jlgaddis () IVYTECH EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:07:40 -0500

Hi Chad,

We never implemented WEP.  When you have to share a key between potentially
hundreds or even thousands of users, it's no longer a secret.

We skipped WEP and opted for VPN technologies instead.  Campus access points
lived on a subnet all of their own.  The only traffic permitted out of this
subnet is 1723/TCP and GRE to a PPTP VPN server.  Once authenticated to this
VPN server via Active Directory credentials, students have access to the
Internet and (limited) internal resources -- the same as they would from
off-campus (public web sites, etc.).  All of this is done at layers 2, 3,
and 4.

Currently there are no restrictions on outgoing traffic with the exception
of 25/TCP (which is filtered outbound even for administrative PCs).  We keep
a close eye on the traffic, however, and will probably lockdown the wireless
networks in the near future -- most likely SSH, HTTP, and HTTPS will be the
only types of traffic allowed to off-campus destinations.

We are about to evaluate HP's Secure Access 700wl Series
(http://www.hp.com/rnd/products/wireless/700wlseries/overview.htm) to
provide a more secure wireless solution and to provide access to internal
resources to faculty and staff (who are currently subject to the same
limitations as students on the wireless network).

-j

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis   <jlgaddis () ivytech edu>
Special Projects Manager