Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wireless SSIDs (was Re: WEP)

From: Willis Marti <wmarti () TAMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:51:41 -0500

 Jeff Kell writes:
On a more fundamental level, how do you have SSIDs setup?

*  Do you have separate SSIDs for "public", "student", "fac/staff", etc?
*  Do you broadcast all of them, or just certain ones.
*  How do you disseminate information about non-broadcast SSIDs to users?
*  Do you periodically change SSIDs of non-broadcast domains?

We are currently debating this issue, haven't gotten around to encryption yet
, but it is obviously on the table.  Granted that a "shared secret" or a "pri
vate SSID" between numerous users is hardly a secret, but if you broadcast, i
sn't that somewhat akin to an open door?
 We broadcast the single, public SSID (no separation for fac/staff/students)
and use non-broadcast, non-public SSIDs only in limited environments. As WEP
is not a confidentiality solution, we force wireless users through a VPN -
achieving enryption and authentication. So known SSIDs aren't an additional
vulnerability.
 We are moving systems that pass passwords in plain text to SSL. ssh, scp,
https...
--
Cheers,
 Willis Marti