Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Physical access control systems

From: Chris Steele <chris.steele () ANGELO EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 09:17:48 -0600

We also use the Diebold CSGold system for building access.  All residence
halls are equipped with readers on the outside doors only.  We are also
starting to see many more installations in lab environments and other
controlled areas in the academic space.  We utilize a Proximity card
solution to secure our central IT controlled areas.   We still use keys on
all other doors including residence hall rooms since the cost of adding card
readers to every room, like hotels, is not justifiable.  I will agree with
previous advice "Be warned though that this solution is not a quick one to
implement and should involve considerable research as well as an extremely
specific service agreement"

Thanks

Chris Steele

Infrastructure Services Manager