Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Role of Campus Police. Was: number of IT security staff

From: Rodney Petersen <rpetersen () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:44:10 -0700

I wanted to point out a couple of "training" or "professional
development" opportnities that will be of interest to this community as
a result of this thread of discussion.

First, there will be a half-day pre-conference tutorial on "Digital
Evidence Considerations for Information Security:  Response
Methodologies for Academic Institutions"
(http://www.educause.edu/SEC05/Program/4308?PRODUCT_CODE=SEC05/SEM03P)
as part of the EDUCAUSE & Internet2 Security Professionals Conference on
Sunday, April 3rd.  The presenter, Mark Pollitt, is the President of
Digital Evidence Professional Services, Inc. and adjunct faculty at
Johns Hopkins and Syracuse Universities.   During his thirty year career
with the Federal government, he served as military officer and FBI
Special Agent, where he investigated organized crime, narcotics, stolen
property, white collar fraud and computer crime cases.   I would urge
individuals who are interested to register
(http://www.educause.edu/Registration/4343) for this pre-conference
seminar.

Second, the closing keynote speaker at the Security Professionals
Conference will be Bill Boni, Vice President of Information Security for
Motorola, Inc.  He is on the Board of Directors of the International
Society for Policing Cyberspace and served as an industry delegate to
the National Cyber Crime Training Partnership and to the G-8 Cyber crime
Task Force, both sponsored by the U.S. Department of Justice.  He is
co-author of  "I-Way Robbery: Crime on the Internet", and "High Tech
Investigator's Handbook: Working in the Global Environment" published by
Butterworth-Heinemann in 1999. His most recent book "Netspionage: The
Global Threat to Information" was released in September 2000.  I am sure
that Mr. Boni will further stimulate discussion, if not controversy,
regarding the role of the Chief Security Officer with respect to cyber
crime.

If you haven't already done so, please check out the program for the
Security Professionals Conference at www.educause.edu/sec05 and register
while Early Bird rates are in effect through March 3rd.

-Rodney

Rodney J. Petersen
Policy Analyst & Security Task Force Coordinator

EDUCAUSE
1150 18th Street, N.W., Suite 1010
Washington, D.C.  20036
(202) 331-5368 / (202) 872-4200