Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Preparing for Default Deny Firewall

From: "Yantis, Jonathan Lindsey" <YantisJ () COFC EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:47:49 -0500

Here's a list of ACLs that I happen to have for ICMP inbound.  I can not
verify all of them but I was assured they were the proper ones to allow
in:  Take from it what you will:

    300 permit icmp any any unreachable

    310 permit icmp any any echo-reply

    320 permit icmp any any packet-too-big

    330 permit icmp any any time-exceeded

    340 permit icmp any any traceroute

    350 permit icmp any any administratively-prohibited

    360 deny icmp any any

You may want to allow echo requests in, but I would not advise doing
that unless you are going to rate-limit it as it opens you up to DoS.
As far as your other inbound traffic, I would do a server assessment and
find out all services running and what the corresponding ports are.  I
would not recommend just allowing port 80 traffic in, rather restrict
port 80 to set of specific machines.  I hope that makes sense.

On your outbound side, I suggest everyone drop outbound requests on port
135, 137, 139 and 445 plus whatever else you feel is necessary while
allowing all other outbound traffic.  These are common ports used by
viruses and have no real business outside your intranet.  It's also a
good idea to create an outbound rule that drops all traffic that is not
sourced from a known internal network to prevent your network being used
to launch spoofed zombie attacks.  For example, if your network is
172.16.10.0/24, you would want the following outbound ACL

[truncated outbound ACLs]

Permit ip 172.16.10.0 0.0.0.255 any

Deny ip any any - done by default but I like to see it.

Also, if you want to watch for outbound syn requests, modify this
tcpdump filter for your situation:

tcpdump -n src net yournet/yourmask and "tcp[13] & 2 != 0" and not port
80 and not port 25 and not port 443

I drop 80, 25, and 443 because they generate a lot of the outbound syn
requests.  I actually use this filter as a quick virus check to see if
any machines are making massive outbound connection attempts but it
should work for you.

Hope this helps someone.

 -- Jonathan Yantis - yantisj () cofc edu - (843-953-7770)