Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Residence Questions

From: Michael Boschet <Boschetm () IPFW EDU>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 17:18:10 -0500

1.  10/100 Switch Ethernet.  Multiple Gigabit connection to the campus
backbone

2.  Connect to the campus backbone

3.  PacketShaper, www.packeteer.com, and Enterasys User Personalized
Network

4.  Every so often

5.  Around 500

6.  802.1x

7.  Not yet.  We are looking at deploying a solution so that are in a
restricted VLAN until their machine is patch and has a current pattern
file.

8.  Same as the rest of the campus users

9.  No guarantee but customer service is a priority so any outage in
student housing is treated like a outage on the rest of the campus

10.   Institute Helpdesk

11.  Wall Jack

12.  The campus has a policy for acceptable use of computing resources.
 Gross violations are referred to the Dean of Students for disciplinary
action.

Michael Boschet, Jr.
Network Systems Programmer
Indiana Purdue Fort Wayne
boschetm () ipfw edu
Office:  (260) 481-5747

chris.fontaine () HUMBER CA 10/4/2004 2:36:32 PM >>>
With the new school year in gear ..... and double our res connections,
there
are a few questions we have around Residence Halls and what other
institutions
are doing to provide reliable, secure conectivity to the same.

1. What type of connection supplies res halls (bandwidth etc.)?

2. Is the residence connected in any way to the institute network, or
is it on
a separate feed? Do you outsource your residence connection?

3. What technology is is place to stop (if any) peer-to-peer sharing
etc?

4. Do you get complaints from RIAA, MPAA, etc?

5. How many users are connected in res halls?

6. Are users authenticated? By what means?

7. Are user machines inspected before connection is allowed?

8. Are res halls bound by Service Level Agreements / Policies?

9. What is the guaranteed uptime of res halls (if a guarantee is made
at all)?

10. Are res halls supported by the institue helpdesk, or does the res
hall have
its own helpdesk?.

11. What is the demarcation point for responsibility to the institute
(switch
port, wall jack)?

12. What are the policy (if policy exists) actions for gross network
abuse?

Any information you could provide would be GREATLY appreciated....

Chris Fontaine

"How is "education" supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every
time I
learn something new,
 it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Like when I took that home
winemaking course,
 and I forgot how to drive...." - Homer Simpson
Chris Fontaine
Digital Information Protection & Security,

Humber College
Information & Technology Services
205 Humber College Blvd
Toronto, Ontario, Canada