Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: 15 character minimum passwords

From: Greg Jackson <gjackson () UCHICAGO EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:23:29 -0500

The problem, I think, is that limits on incorrect password guesses create a
problem of their own: they become the obvious mechanism for simple
denial-of-service attacks aimed at individuals or, in some cases, entire
user sets for the host in question. So my sense is that limits on guesses
-- that is, lockout policies -- are declining in attractiveness.
Crackability, which arguably had been solved by lockout policies, thus
becomes important once again.

That said, it's important to distinguish between rational guessing
strategies -- trying blank passwords, passwords set to "password",
passwords set to the username or the user's name, etc -- and brute-force
dictionary or pattern attacks. Regardless of how one deals with the latter,
it's critical to have policies and mechanisms to prevent users from using
stupid passwords.