Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: 15 character minimum passwords

From: Jim Loter <jloter () ENGR WASHINGTON EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:52:45 -0700

The reason Windows 15+ character passwords/phrases are harder to crack
is that Windows doesn't generate LM hashes (the 7/7 split) for passwords
of >= 15 characters, so traditional Windows password cracking techniques
won't work against 15+ character passwords. That's not to say that other
methods won't work. It just means the common LM vulnerability is resolved.

There's some recent research that debunks the notion that longer
passwords are inherently harder for users to remember. It claims that
mnemonic passwords are about equivilent in security to random passwords
and are just about as easy for users to remember than "naively selected"
passwords (i.e. dictionary words or variations on names). The trouble,
of course, is getting them to follow the guidelines and not complain
about them.

Another thing the research demonstrated was that ALL 6-character
passwords, regardless of complexity, are easily suseptible to brute
force attacks.

Full report here: http://www.ftp.cl.cam.ac.uk/ftp/users/rja14/tr500.pdf

*Jim Loter*
*Director of Computing Services*
University of Washington College of Engineering
70e Wilcox Hall - Box 352180
Seattle, WA 98195
Phone: 206-543-1791 ~ Fax: 206-543-1018