Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: 15 character minimum passwords

From: Eric Pancer <epancer () SECURITY DEPAUL EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 15:21:39 -0500

Todd Gunter wrote on Thu, 2004-07-08 at 16:02:57 -0400...

Has anyone adopted the use of 15 character minimum passwords?

We are going to start using this password format when we migrate to Windows 2003.  I was wondering if anyone has
started to use this format and what, if any, issues you had using them?

We see this as a simpler approach to passwords.  Fifteen character
password with complexity is simply 'Ihaveabigmouth.'.  They are
also supposed to much harder to crack.

When cracking ntlm type passwords, I do believe they're split into
two hashes (7+7 characters). I'm not sure what is true these days,
but it used to be very easy to determine the first hash if you got
the second hash correct, essentially making a 14 characters password
as simple to crack as a 7 character password.

Things might have changed.

As far as that length goes, I think you're asking for lots of
passwords to be written under keyboards, on monitors, etc., but
would be curious to know the results!

--
Eric Pancer :.: Computer Security Response Team :.: DePaul University
http://security.depaul.edu/ .:`:.:':.:`:. epancer () security depaul edu