Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: 15 character minimum passwords

From: Bill Frazier <frazier () IASTATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:02:38 CDT

The comment on ntlm is well taken.  If I recall correctly, if
you are using older versions of ntlm, a well chosen 8
character password is less vulnerable than a 15 character
password, though both can be hacked.  I don't recall whether
V2 fixes that problem, though the hackability is improved.

As far as length, one advantage of long passwords -- even
longer than 15 characters -- is that one can safely dispense
with the requirement for mutiple character classes.  This is
especially nice if the client systems AND whatever server-side
system is present are all completely unpicky about characters
used.  Hence, "How now brown cow?" would be easy to remember,
though perhaps not the best choice if the cracker tried common
phrases.  By contrast, the shorter "4RTu%@g6" is, for most
people, more difficult.

Much of current recommendation in the security community is
that long phrases, perhaps describing events (real or imagined
but not obvious), are better choices.  The idea is that such
long passwords are memorable while good choices at shorter
lengths are not.

Bill