Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Cracking & Consequences

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:25:30 -0400

Sweeny, Jonny wrote:

Do IT departments commonly try to crack their users' passwords?

That's surprising/scary news to me...

We do it occasionally on some systems. There is no doubt
it would be preferable to enforce the creation of a proper
password up front though.

We also scan the network for Windows machines with
no administrator password or those set to 'administrator'.
I think someone else here mentioned scanning the network
(or search engines) looking for confidential documents
that were mistakenly published which we've also done
informally.

Its just another vulnerability test in my opinion.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer