Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Cracking & Consequences

From: Eric Pancer <epancer () SECURITY DEPAUL EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:35:00 -0500

Theresa M Rowe wrote on Fri, 2004-08-27 at 12:17:58 -0400...

Yes, that's what I was looking for.  Your policy does not
explicitly state the password cracking technique, but you
have had campus discussion on the policy?

For us to create an IT policy here, there's at least 4 rounds
of different committee review and approval.  We'd have to
explicitely state we were going to try to crack passwords, or
the policy would not support the action.

Such is the reason your policy should be able to cover things like
this for authorized security staff (note, I didn't not say
administrative staff, but security staff).

We've talked to several people in our organization over the past few
years that are more than happy to have us doing something to protect
them. We've also talked to some that are a bit uneasy with us
putting taps in place, etc., but they understand *why* a security
group would do such a thing, and developing trust within the
community is far more key (at least for us) than developing some
iron-fisted policy.

However, YMMV.

--
Eric Pancer :.: Computer Security Response Team :.: DePaul University
http://security.depaul.edu/ .:`:.:':.:`:. epancer () security depaul edu