Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Cracking & Consequences

From: Scott Weeks <sweeks () SANDIEGO EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:48:29 -0700

:  At any institution where passwords are cracked, if a user were found to
:  be doing illegal things (pornography, sharing music) under their
:  account, they would have the perfect defense, because someone else could
:  know their password. I'd sure state that someone else knew my password
:  and look it is common practice for the system administrators to look up
:  the passwords, I believe one of them must have told someone else my
:  password.

But the password would've been changed and retested until there was no
weakness.  Meaning LC5, Crack or John the Ripper could not guess it in a
reasonable amount of time.  Therefore, no one would know it.

scott