Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Cracking & Consequences

From: Michael Mills <mmills () RKON COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:30:18 -0500

To take another perspective on this issue I add that in effort to create an
audit trail of users access to campus resources, for any number of reasons,
it in imperative from not only a personal liability issue, but down to the
campus's ability to enforce any kind of IT Security policy, NOONE must EVER
know anyone else's password.  Even if only to prove that a password is
insecure.  Imagine a scenario where the campus is under fire from the RIAA,
and the university passes the responsibility over to the student in
question.  If that student can prove that other people have the ability to
"crack" their password and also do so, on a regular basis, that student is
let off the hook (barring any other circumstances) and the responsibility is
placed right back on the university.  Or another scenario, a staff/faculty
member is identified to have attempted to access areas he/she does not have
access to, so the university decides to let this person go.  That person
gets a lawyer and charges that on a regular basis the IT staff "cracks"
their passwords and because of that how can it be proved 100% that that
person is the guilty party?  I wouldn't want to be part of that lawsuit.

The point is that there is NEVER an occasion that any member of the
faculty/staff, IT department or anyone else for that matter, have access to
anyone's passwords but their own. A system should be put in place that will
not allow the creation of "weak" passwords.  In the case of lost/stolen
passwords, a new "temporary" password should be set, and the account should
be set to "change password on first use".  This removes any liability on the
part of the University for knowing anyone's passwords.

With today's increased "phishing" methods of obtaining passwords you will
want to but into effect a "No one will EVER under ANY circumstances ask for
your password" policy.

Some good reading regarding these issues can be found at

http://www.sans.org/resources/policies/

and a good password policy doc can be found here

http://www.sans.org/resources/policies/Password_Policy.pdf

Michael Mills
RKON Technologies
mmills () rkon com