Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Cracking & Consequences

From: James Riden <j.riden () MASSEY AC NZ>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:38:10 +1200

Scott Bradner <sob () HARVARD EDU> writes:

what is the threat model that leads to teh IT department cracking passwords?
For one: http://www.k-otik.com/exploits/08202004.brutessh2.c.php

why is this not countered by having lockout on failed login attempts?

It is, but in my case, I'm worrying about systems I don't have direct
control over, where as I can do things about people's passwords.

--
James Riden / j.riden () massey ac nz / Systems Security Engineer