Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: blocking .ZIP attachments

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:17:24 -0400

We've been blocking zip files along with other executables for nearly a year,
now. The user does receive notification that such a file was attempted, and this
notification includes instructions on renaming desired files to evade the block.
The sheer volume of virus-generated vs. legitimate mail so blocked is stunning.
We have no plans to unblock these any time in the near future.

I don't know what others do with the notification messages; I've trained my mail
client to discard 'em as spam ;-)

--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
 www.ouuf.org, www.calfrye.com

  "Beware the fury of a patient woman."

John C Borne wrote:
We've gotten to the point where we cringe at the thought of unblocking
.zip's and would like to make it permanent. Before I propose this to the
administration, I wanted to see if anyone could comment on whether they
are, or are not, blocking zip's and other attachments and if not, what
other solutions they have considered.

Thanks.

John Borne