Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: blocking .ZIP attachments

From: Theresa M Rowe <rowe () OAKLAND EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:01:36 -0400

We are blocking .zip just based on the file extension.  You
can still send a .zip file, we just recommend renaming the
extension to something personal - like ".johndata", and
putting in rename instructions in the mail text, like "rename
the attached file from .johndata to .zip."  Once folks
understood that, they were very supportive because of the
decrease in viruses.

Theresa Rowe.