Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: blocking .ZIP attachments

From: "Smotherman, Brian" <bsmother () EX OCI PCC EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:43:30 -0700

John

For other solutions to blocking all ZIP attachment, it depends what software you are using to filter. I am using
Symantec AVFE 4.5. This has a feature to block, unscanable files, unrepairable files, and encrypted files.

I have enabled these filters which means ZIP attachments can get through, but only if they can be scanned for viruses.
If they are encrypted then they cannot be scanned and therefore will not get through.

This has worked well for me...

Brian Smotherman
Network Analyst
Portland Community College