Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: blocking .ZIP attachments

From: Tim Lane <tlane () SCU EDU AU>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:32:14 +1000

Hi,

at Southern Cross Uni we were blocking zips (and other file types), however
due to the outcry from some academics we decided at the IT steering
committee to unblock them.  We do not intend to block/unblock in response
to each episode.  We have taken the position that if the staff and
academics want to be able to send zips etc, then we will rely on a
combination of our gateway detecting them (which obviously doesn't get them
all), and the client workstations having up to date AV software (not always
the case), and educating users about not clicking on attachments (not
always effective).

The education seems to be working basically ok, however I believe it
remains to be seen whether we have to re block these types of files
permanently.  Unfortunately we don't have workstation registration and
cannot currently enforce AV software and patching on every machine, so we
remain vulnerable at the request of academics and staff.

Regards,

Tim