Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: blocking .ZIP attachments

From: "Lucas, Bryan" <b.lucas () TCU EDU>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 00:33:54 -0500

First, "zip files are frequently high value items" I assume you are
talking about legitimate messages only.  If you factor in ALL zip's
received only a very small percentage (~ <10% in our environment) are
not malicious in nature.  Then, even if you do consider only
"legitimate" messages only, I'd have to argue that point.  I see just as
many if not more "elfbowling" type attachments than I see work related.

Second, if I was responsible for sending some data with the potential
million dollar price tag, I sure as heck wouldn't rely on just one
single email attempt.  I would FTP or post it to a private HTTP, call
the recipient and make sure they got it.  If the sender/recipient chose
smtp anyways, good user education about your security policies would
have reminded the recipient that filters are in place and if they are
expecting a critical file a phone call isn't out of the question.  It is
the same concept as certified USPS versus standard USPS.  Obviously this
user was expecting this file b/c she came looking for it.  The counter
that "critical" and "unexpected" zip files are a common occurrence just
doesn't cut it to me.

Third, one individual deciding to censor a phrase is not essentially the
same thing as dropping an attachment b/c of well publicized security
risk.  Albeit I can agree it can definitely be argued the severity of
that risk.

Finally, just auto-renaming the zip file to say .xyz and letting it
through it through is not a good solution either.  Our help desk as well
as our administrators continue to get flooded by confused users
wondering "what is this warning about my email account" "should I type
in this password?" "why is my.domain management team emailing me" "I
thought this was a virus I just wanted to check".  These socially
engineered bodies are too confusing for users.

Please don't see this as a personal attack on your opinion.  Its just
I've talked through this subject so often I can't hardly stand to hear
it anymore so I get a bit riled up.

Bryan Lucas
Lead Server Administrator
Texas Christian University