Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Making the case for security policies and personnel

From: Jim Moore <jhmfa () CIS RIT EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 12:18:29 -0500

Jim,

Thanks for the articles.

One that I use heavily, especially since I am at a technically oriented
university, is "How to Spend a Dollar on Security", which helps me to

1) DeMyth the "technology created the problem, we will fix it with
technology" error

2) Set people's expectations on their *involvement*, learning process,
funds that they will spend on establishing and executing new processes.

3) Give management (who should be used to the costs of organizational
change), a rational for why the firewall costs $X, but the strategy to
make it operational is $4X.

Good article, I wish that he had sited more sources.

McBride, Patrick, How to Spend a Dollar on Security (November 9, 2000),
Retrieved Aug 16, 2002 from Computerworld website
http://www.computerworld.com/printthis/2000/0,4814,53651,00.html

Jim Wilcox wrote:
ROSI was the popular basis for a case in 2002. No matter what you do,
security is like insurance; you don't get anything new, you just get to
keep what you have. Hard to make that case. Case studies are good. The
penalties on executives that are included in Graham Leach Bliley and
HIPAA are good if that applies.

Good luck,

James Wilcox, CISSP
Director of Business Development
Cylant, Inc.
PO Box 19777
Portland, OR 97280-9777
503 799-8438
james () cylant com
www.cylant.com
CylantSecure, LinuxWorld "Best Security Solution"