Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Making the case for security policies and personnel

From: Tracy Mitrano <tbm3 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 20:17:32 -0500

Dorette,

As alternative routes, may I inquire: What kind of policy
process/formulation/issuance structures do you have at your school?.  As a
policy advisor I may be prejudiced to think that policy is often the
driving force behind comprehensive change in this or any other significant
administrative area.  Whether or not you have the explicit encouragement of
the highest levels of the administration, you and your organization can
move forward with policy; and if such a process is not clearly defined or
instituted at UNK then this might be opportunity to get it going.

Policy is worthless unless there is the requisite buy-in with a critical
mass of IT personnel and/or distributive supportive units throughout
campus, IT or otherwise.  If you are starting from scratch, then perhaps
setting up vetting committees with representation from around campus to
share and learn from each other.  There is some information about how we
have worked on this project at Cornell at
http://www.cit.cornell.edu/oit/policy/drafts/.  In the next week or so we
should have four security policies on offer: Security of Information
Technology Resources; Network Registry; Security Incidents Reporting, and
Appropriate Use of Passwords.

Of course, one size never fits all, but I would encourage efforts to
proceed with what is appropriate for security policies and practices
irrespective of whether the top central administration has fails to see the
leadership light -- you could model it for them.

Good fortune!

Tracy Mitrano