Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: A change

From: "Menerick, John" <jmenerick () netsuite com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:17:48 -0800

Comments inline

On Jan 20, 2010, at 2:04 PM, Jim Manico wrote:

Hello DD,

Is the recent ie6 0-day anything special?

Not really.  Not as special as the NT <-> Win 7 issue recently highlighted.

How many similar 0-days are
for sale on the black market?

Quite a few.

What is the rate/difficulty for discovery
of new windows-based 0-days for the common MS and Adobe products that
are installed on almost every corporate client? (I heard Dave mention
that discovery is getting more difficult)?

Not terribly difficult for someone who is dedicated.  Then again, my idea of difficult is much different from the avg.
person

How easy is discovery for
someone with resources like the Chinese government?

Much simpler.

 How bad is it
really?

Look at the CVSSv2 score and adjust it to the environments where you determine "how bad it is."  It could be much worse.

I suspect we are just looking at one grain of sand in a beach of
0-days....

Correct.  No one wants to let everyone else know what cards they hold in their hand, the tools in their toolbox, etc....

John Menerick
http://securewebappsec.com

--
Jim Manico
OWASP Podcast Host/Producer

NOTICE: This email and any attachments may contain confidential and proprietary information of NetSuite Inc. and is for
the sole use of the intended recipient for the stated purpose.  Any improper use or distribution is prohibited.  If you
are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender; do not review, copy or distribute; and promptly delete or
destroy all transmitted information.  Please note that all communications and information transmitted through this
email system may be monitored by NetSuite or its agents and that all incoming email is automatically scanned by a third
party spam and filtering service.