Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: A change

From: Rich Smith <rich () immunityinc com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 19:16:35 -0500

Sophistication is an entirely relative measure and dependent on context
of the observer. Given the types of attacks that have been typically
owning every large company worldwide this one can be considered
'sophisticated'. Given the manner of execution of this coupled with
complexity of situations that people, like those populating this list,
have been talking about for years it seems somewhat behind the curve.

I agree entirely with Moxie's point about the quality of the Google PR
(investing in good, not just good looking, PR clearly pays!),
additionally it has also been a fun exercise in observing the security
industry trot out rehashes of old vulnerability info, and the
'realignment' of products (sorry 'solutions') to fit just this exact
scenario.

Finally when such a public incident occurs it is always interesting to
see software vendors jump on the free lunch ticket of 'state sponsored
0-day usage' to patch bugs that they hadn't got round to fixing yet but
were nothing to do with the incident in question. The users will never
know the difference, it was just 'those damn commies' again.

All in all a very entertaining week and one which kicked off 2010 with a
bang.

Rich

Charles Miller wrote:
I think the interesting thing about "sophisticated" attacks, is that
if they are actually sophisticated, the victims never know it
happened.  And if the victim's DO figure out it happened, at least
they shouldn't be able to find your 0-day sitting in their inbox for
analysis.  Total amateur hour (not that it probably wouldn't have
pwned me).

Charlie