Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Announcing the Zero Day Initiative

From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu () deaddrop org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 06:43:40 -0700

David Endler wrote:

Hey Halvar,

By our own standards, 3Com cannot use any vulnerability information or
report it to anyone until it is officially purchased.  We have more to lose
from a trust and legal standpoint:

http://www.zerodayinitiative.com/benefits.html

"If an offer is not made or an offer is made but not accepted by the
researcher, the vulnerability information will remain the property of
the researcher and will not be used in the Zero Day Initiative (ZDI) program."

Uh-huh. You are neither a priest nor a doctor. I can see the lawsuits now
(assuming you actually followed the process above). If you know of a
vulnerability, and yet do not inform the vendor, all sorts of possibilities
open up. In this day and age of a vanishing constitution, where the Patriot
Act is the law of the land, I cannot see how you expect as to be so naive
as to think that you will not take advantage of anyone so stupid as to
believe you.

Yes, I know that there's already someone out there paying for vulns; I
don't trust them either.

--
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,