Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Vuln scoring system anyone?

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 15:40:11 -0500 (EST)

: > Hmm. I guess my point here is that vendors are very
: > bad places to get
: > your vulnerability information. When we release a
:
: Assuming base score of 10.  No patch and vuln is not
: acknowledged by vendors.
: Exploitability        High
: Remediation Level     Unavailable
: Report Confidence     Uncorroborated
: Temporal Score        9.5

And what if Dave Aitel posts to a list saying he confirmed the findings of
eEye? To security researchers that have historically demonstrated accuracy
in vulnerability reports is corroborated to me. Will the vendors see it
that way? What if someone posts to an incident list that they got owned by
this vuln, but the vendor hasn't ack'd it?

: Once patched by vendor:
: Exploitability        High
: Remediation Level     Official Fix
: Report Confidence     Confirmed
: Temporal Score        8.7

What if the patch is available but breaks other functions. Admins can
install it and remediate the problem while breaking a required protocol,
or they can remain vulnerable and functional. Does this system deal with
such cases? How will Microsoft label it? "We have a patch out" and lower
the rating.

: Vendor support and an open methodology are significant differentiators.
: I think it's too soon to test it's usefulness over others.  Considering
: the media attention it's been getting this can help improve awaress and
: adoption.  I expect vendors of vulnerability assessment tools will be
: quick to incorporate this score.

I'm curious why more vendors of vulnerability assessment tools weren't
recruited to participate. They understand the risks better than the
vendors usually, and have nothing to gain by downplaying it. Hell, they
would likely be more prone to give it the worst score (within reason) as
it benefits their market. This would create a nasty balance between the
two. =)