Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Vuln scoring system anyone?

From: "Kurt Seifried" <listuser () seifried org>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 23:27:42 -0700

I think the real problem is that no matter how good a rating system you come up with, the end user still has to do something. This reminds me of the Code Red/Orange/Yellow/Blue/Green (I think I got that right) thing the DHS does. No-one actually knows what to do in case of a code red. Duck and cover? Flee the city? Stay at home and duct tape/plastic the entire house (did anyone remember to bring the cat in)? Same for a rating system for infosec issues. Level 1-3 means ignore, 4-6 fix in next maintenance window, 7-10 start testing and apply in <1 week or what? But yes, people love "rating numbers" and other metrics even if they are not very well done or largely ignored.

-Kurt