Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Vuln scoring system anyone?

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 09:46:00 -0500

Ok, well now that I've read the report, I can comment on it:
1. It turns out "access complexity" means "race conditions or client side vulns" 2. "Report Confidence" as "uncorroborated as "Multiple non-official sources; possibly including independant security companies or research organizations. Then as "Confirmed" as "Vendor has reported/confirmed a problem within it's own product." This is basically reversed. Isn't it Cisco who is calling every vulnerability a DoS and it takes ISS/FX to tell everyone that they are really remote heap overflows which are perfectly well exploitable? This is something Cisco has done even as recently as the BGP vulnerability, if I remember correctly. As a rule, commercial vendors are pretty faulty in this regards.

-dave

Brian Erdelyi wrote:

The tool I created follows the CVSS report published
at www.dhs.gov/niac.  Here you can see details about
the variables and the formula.

I'm going to post the MS Excel version in a few hours.

Regards,
Brian Erdelyi