Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Vuln scoring system anyone?

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:18:14 -0500

Brian Erdelyi wrote:

Ok, well now that I've read the report, I can
comment on it:
1. It turns out "access complexity" means "race
conditions or client side vulns"

I didn't try to be too narrow with my interpretation
of Access Complexity, I think it's a great term.  One
of my personal beefs is that some people neglect to
differentiate between the level of access required to
exploit the vulnerability.  If authentication is
required, is admin/root privileges required to exploit
it?  To exploit the vuln does it require user
interaction?  Maybe this is what you mean by "race
condition or client side vuln"?

I just think it was a bit confusing when presented without supporting text. Maybe you could make it a web app instead of a Excel spreadsheet. :>

2. "Report Confidence" as "uncorroborated as
"Multiple non-official sources; possibly including independant security companies or research organizations. Then as "Confirmed" as "Vendor has reported/confirmed a problem within it's own product." This is basically

I think that may be a more intuitive distintion.  I
don't think it's reversed since it is intended that
the vendor confirm it.

Personally, I would refer to "Impact Bias" as "Impact
Priority".
Hmm. I guess my point here is that vendors are very bad places to get your vulnerability information. When we release a WINS overflow, and it works, that means there's 100% chance of an exploitable vulnerability. Microsoft won't acknowledge that until they have a patch, which games the system a bit. When Cisco releases an advisory on BGP saying it's a DoS, that's misleading. Etc.

The other thing that wasn't answered for me by the presentations was: What makes this set to metrics more special than other metrics? Is it just buy in from the vendors? Is there some sort of test we can run that will demonstrate it's usefulness over others?

-dave