Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Vuln scoring system anyone?

From: Jason <security () brvenik com>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 00:18:59 -0600

At the risk of having to buy yet another flame retardant suit...

All this rating crap means nothing to people doing real work in real places with real resource constraints and trying to solve real problems with real (limited) money.

All you have to do is ask a few simple questions.

0 - Do I use it?
   - No, sweet!
   - Yes, see #1.

1 - Is it remote?
   - No, see #2.
   - Yes!
    - Can I patch it?
     - No, well fsck! That sucks, turn up monitoring.
      - Can I mitigate it?
       - No, well fsck. Make people pay attention. Wait for patch.
       - Yes! Get it done soon.
     - Yes! Get it done soon.

2 - Is it local?
   - No, sweet! ( never a reality )
   - Yes!
    - Can I patch it?
     - No, well fsck! That sucks, turn up monitoring.
      - Can I mitigate it?
       - No, well fsck. Make people pay attention. Wait for patch.
       - Yes! Get it done soon.
     - Yes! Get it done soon.

A pretty flow chart might be nice but you get the point.

Yeeeeaaaaah. There are a fsckload of incrementals in there but that is a factor of risk/reward and the tolerance of an organisation. Good luck getting everyone to agree on that!!!

When you start thinking about vulnerability risk at this level of
abstraction, you also need to start thinking about variables associated
with the asset. These let you postulate towards other data such as the
attack preferences of a would-be attacker exploiting the issue. What
is their tolerance to risk, what additional resources does the
attacker need to obtain to offset any inhibiting factors associated
with a vulnerability (like needing to acquire an elevated level of
initial access). If we lived in a world of equals where everyone
shared the same resource and knowledge, maybe you could start basing
your risk assessment on data like this, but that is obviously not the
case.

But if you figure that out...

How do you differentiate between a system that a CEO uses and the system the admin to the CEO uses and the system a receptionist uses??? I can tell you which one I am going after but most (normal) people get that swag wrong when questioned.