Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: The Small Company's Guide to Hard Drive Failure and Linux

From: "Anthony.zboralski" <bcs2005 () bellua com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 02:07:06 +0700

Derek Vadala wrote:

On the other hand, SW RAID-1 is fast on Linux and if one side of your
mirror dies, you can bring up the remaining disks as a standalone device (sans RAID)-- just mount the partitions normally. Presumably you aren't worried about system bus saturation in this case, which I suspect 99/100
people are not.

Ok, this is what I don't get - if you're using Software RAID on Linux, then what do you do when your boot drive dies? I'm looking for hardware RAID because I like the idea of a quick hotswap. I don't see how you could do that with software.

-dave

Again as I said in my previous post hardware RAID is crap, slow with poor support.

A lot of IDE/FireWire/SCSI controllers actually support Hotplug (hot-swapping).

The easiest and cheapest way to do it is with USB 2.0 or FireWire (400mbit or 800mbit) enclosures.

You should plug and enable your spares in advance and you won't need to be present
if eventually one of your drives fail.

Linux doesn't use raidtab anymore, all the information is stored on each drive and is easily accessible with mdadm --examine /dev/XXX . So it doesn't matter much which
device name will be assigned to each drive.

Anthony