Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: The Small Company's Guide to Hard Drive Failure and Linux

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:27:01 -0500

Derek Vadala wrote:

On the other hand, SW RAID-1 is fast on Linux and if one side of your
mirror dies, you can bring up the remaining disks as a standalone device
(sans RAID)-- just mount the partitions normally. Presumably you aren't
worried about system bus saturation in this case, which I suspect 99/100
people are not.

Ok, this is what I don't get - if you're using Software RAID on Linux, then what do you do when your boot drive dies? I'm looking for hardware RAID because I like the idea of a quick hotswap. I don't see how you could do that with software.

-dave