Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: The Small Company's Guide to Hard Drive Failure and Linux

From: Frank Berger <Frank.Berger () fm-berger de>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:50:19 +0100

Hey *,

I also had a lot of trouble with hard drives in the past...
So just some more hints from my side :-)

Dave Aitel wrote:
[hard drives messing]

to get more proactive abilities, check out the smartmontools at
http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
helps a lot in constantly monitoring the Raw Read Error Rate or
HD Temperature...

One might think you could use dd to duplicate your drive. I initially tried this, and my results were not good. I did remember to use dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc conv=noerror (the noerror flag is important). However, this takes forever and a day. Basically it'll take all night.

I also had bad experiences with dd when it comes down to deal with
physical data corruption. I can recommend dd_resuce which worked
for me even when dd failed. It is also a little bit faster
(especially when your drive hits bad blocks).
http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/

involves not having to ever do this again. For those of you not in the know - you want a hardware supported (get a good modern motherboard) RAID-1 solution and you want to be able to swap out one of your two drives (mirrored) when Linux tells you that one is bad. You also want to

using RAID-1 is most of the times also okay as a software RAID
configuration. Normally you do not see much more CPU load doing RAID 1
as software...

Anyway its always a bad situation when your primary server fails :-). If
you have the money you may also consider to buy a remote management
solution which may also include a virtual floppy option.

Bye
Frank