Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: The Small Company's Guide to Hard Drive Failure and Linux

From: "Anthony.zboralski" <bcs2005 () bellua com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 04:04:05 +0700

On 19 Nov 2004, at 03:34, Derek Vadala wrote:

Anthony.zboralski said:

Make sure you stay away from "hardware RAID" as most of the
implementations
don't even support RAID5 and the performance is really poor 15
meg/second again 100+ with software raid. Plus you're stuck with a
vendor with poor support.

Again, what you are calling hardware RAID here is probably firmware RAID. All the decent vendors can do RAID-5 in hardware. In good cases, this can
be better than software RAID-5 due to caching. On-controller batteries
also help with those pending writes when a power failure strikes. Software RAID-5 has good read speeds, like any RAID, but writes can be an issues. Imagine you have a five disk RAID-5 with a 5k stripe size (nevermind that this is not a valid stripe size). Each time you perform a write, you need to pre-read the parallel blocks in the stripe you are writing. This causes a lot of performance overhead for writes, and it's why a lot of people who
can afford to use RAID-10 instead of RAID-5.

/dev/md0:
  Timing buffered disk reads:  168 MB in  3.01 seconds =  55.79 MB/sec
root@dis:/home/acz# hdparm -T /dev/md0

/dev/md0:
  Timing cached reads:   1176 MB in  2.00 seconds = 586.62 MB/sec

CPU usage is really minimal on this machine (1.8ghz AMD 2500+, 1gig of
DDR ram),

Again, CPU overhead for RAID hasn't been a factor in a really long time. This is about I/O, not CPU-- just like nearly every computing bottleneck these days. The stats you posted are totally useless too. Even if they are
accurate, which I doubt, they are for read performance. You're always
going to get read performance that's near the speed of your real disks.
I'm guessing your disks have a transfer rate of about 55MB/sec. Writes are
what is important. Always. Reads are commodity.

True but the performance's still better the "firmware" raid I have.
Reads may be commodity but in my case I use this storage mostly for reading
and I don't have imperatives on how long writing will take.

RAID5 or RAID6 is really the best way to go in terms of security and
performance. RAID5
allows 1 drive failure (and will rebuilt its state automatically if you have a spare) and RAID6 allows 2 drives to fail at the same time. Using
other raid modes for anything is pure waste unless you work with  big
temporary files, for which the performance boost of a stripping array
will come handy; 1 disk failure on a stripping array and you can say
bye to your data.

Okay. This is one of those things that ends up buried in a mailing list
archive for years, causing confusion among people trying to get good
information.

Most people don't want RAID-6. Most people don't care about surviving a
multi-disk failure on a single array. Most people who need to do that will probably use a 3-disk RAID-1. That's right, you can create a RAID-1 of as many member disks as you like. Three disks means you get three copies of
the data, four.... five... etc...

RAID-5 and RAID-6 are not the best way to go in terms of security and
performance. RAID-10 probably is, or perhaps even RAID-1. RAID-5 is great
when you are poor and don't want to waste disk space, but there are
drawbacks. RAID-6 inherits all of that and then some.

Thanks for the clarification, I might no expert in RAID storage and I just wanted
to share my personal experience.

Best regards,

Anthony

--
Anthony C. Zboralski  <anthony.zboralski () bellua com>
PT Bellua Asia Pacific - http://www.bellua.com