Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Re: [nylug-talk] The Small Company's Guide to Hard Drive Failure and Linux

From: Paul Wouters <paul () xtdnet nl>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:29:11 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 alex () pilosoft com wrote:

You need to do:
dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc conv=sync,noerror bs=16384

default blocksize of 512 is too small - doing read/write in 512 byte
increments is very inefficient. increasing blocksize will however increase
the size of "bad block", if there's a bad sector anywhere in 8192 byte
block, you'll get zeros on the output. If there are no bad blocks, dd
will be flyin' - much faster than any other method, assuming your disk is
mostly full. If disk is <50% full, dd is slower than tar/untar.

There are some tools that do this for you. Read in large chunks, and when an
error happens lower the chunksize around it. I've used it to recover broken
flashmedia cards. One such tool is called 'ddresque' by I believe Kurt Garlof
(suse)

The other issue with dd is that typically replaces every sector on the
disk. So you'll need a disk EXACTLY the same size as the previous disk.

Just dd to a file and mount using -o loop

Paul