Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Hackers and Painters

From: ken_i_m () fatair net
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 03:59:31 -0600

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 09:20:55AM -0500, Richard Thieme (rthieme () thiemeworks com) wrote:
I mean, I have been writing since I was 13 ... I think a lot of
artists, once you in the flow, in the zone, go on marathon sessions.
Once you're there you don't want to stop because it is so
self-nurturing, i.e. the positive feedback loops keep ramping up. It
short-circuits lesser needs and pleasures including eating.

This would make a good reason for my motivation for having become a
really good cook.  I get very uncomfortable when I go without food too
long.  Which adversely affects the quality of what I am working on.  But
because the pleasure of eating my cooking is high it makes it easier
to walk the 15 feet to the kitchen.  My cooking style is such that there
are a number of trips back to my desk while waiting for something to
cook so I am never far from the task at hand.  The extra thinking time
actually reduces the effort to achieve a satisfactory solution.

This latter point is why I keep my guitars handy.  If I am flailing at a
solution I'll step over and play a few chords and let my brain give me
the answer in its own time.
--
Ken Dyke
"Bits at the speed of light"