Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Hackers and Painters

From: "Kohlenberg, Toby" <toby.kohlenberg () intel com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:58:58 -0700

heh. that's the best description I've ever heard of it. How
else can you explain 18-hour coding sessions where you don't eat
(except for anti-inflamatories) or drink because that would
require typing slower and you put off going to the bathroom
because it's distracting and taking time.
And continuing to do this when it is causing more and more damage
to the nerves in your hands and forearms...

And those are only the short binges, not the truly marathon ones
that I know many of you have the luxury of doing. (36 hours straight
is only feasible if you don't need to take children to school or
feed them/care for them.)

:)
Does that mean that when we encourage someone to learn to program,
we are pushing them to gain a new addiction?