Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: new iss stuff

From: awatts () elecsun5 elec uow edu au (Andrew Watts)
Date: Wed, 11 May 1994 10:47:16 +1000 (EST)

Sure - if you want your security to be dependent on a black box.  And
you really believe that NO contributed code was not included in it, code
for which the orignal writers are not getting a DIME?  The price would
be reasonable, IF IT INCLUDED SOURCE.  But it doesn't.  For source its
well over a grand.  Its back to security through obscurity (only now
its 'security through black boxes').

Have you seen  a copy of the commercial product? Have you asked the supplier
for a copy of the source to check your allegation that contributed code
was used in it? Because let's face it, you basically just accused them
of that. Have you also consulted with the supplier to find out what
information he will supply regarding what the program checks for,
and what holes it attempts to discover and correct? Perhaps the supplier
will be more than happy to share with those who purchase this product
information about the particular security problems. I don't know these
things for a fact, but have _you_ investigated first, it semems you're
making alot of assumptions on behalf of the supplier which may turn
out to be totally unfounded.

The bad taste remains.  I smell a gouge playing on fear.  If they decide
to make the sources affordable, perhaps I will change my viewpoint.
Otherwise, they are making the decisions FOR the using admin, not allowing
him to decide what he wants to check.

How many people who sell word processors provide it with source? How many
companies who sell packages which make minor kernel patches provide
it with entire source? Sweet bugger all do. So why should this be any
different?

As I said:  NO SALE.

I Say: Give it a chance. (But then no one probably gives a rats ass what I
think, perhaps they dont care what you think either? :)

Me.

--

Andrew Watts - awatts () elecsun5 elec uow edu au
'If you need someone to blame, throw a rock in the