Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: passwd -F

From: dan () pasteur fr (Daniel Azuelos)
Date: Wed, 11 May 1994 21:59:49 +0200 (MET DST)

| FYI, this vulnerability exists on 4.1.3_U1.  I do not know how
| widespread knowledge of this vulnerability is, but I have seen Suns
| running a modified passwd program that has "-F option disabled" (according
| to the message output by passwd).  So somebody out there has known about
| it for a while.

Yes, I remember we found that one in 87, probably with SunOS 3.5.
There was a possibility to corrupt a file in the passwd format with
that trick and the NIS (yppasswdd), but apparently no possibility to
make a correct change of any passwd. The worst case was the
possibility to remove parts of /etc/passwd.

Unfortunately I didn't keep any shell to exhibit this behaviour.
And yes, we made a serious bug report to Sun.
Perhaps that's why some persons don't like binary distribution.

--
dan                 ``Et pourtant ga tourne....''