Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Spam prevention vs mitigation

From: rmassanet () gmail com
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 09:59:06 GMT

I would use any review article written in the last decade to justify that spam reduction can be achieved to a 99% rate
with computer programs. For example, see:

Thiago S. Guzella, Walmir M. Caminhas, A review of machine learning approaches to Spam filtering, Expert Systems with
Applications, Volume 36, Issue 7, September 2009, Pages 10206-10222, ISSN 0957-4174, 10.1016/j.eswa.2009.02.037.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S095741740900181X)

Receiving 5 or 6 e-mails per user per day is not much, but it should be compared with the actual amount of spam you are
receiving at the server in order to evaluate the performance of your spam filtering policy.

A 100% performance could be achieved, as several people said above, unplugging the cord, or turning the mail server
off. Another option that has not been considered would be hiring a person, or team, depending on the volume of e-mail
you receive, to read every single e-mail received and manually classify it. I wonder if your bosses would want to deal
with the extra monetary costs and the privacy violation issues that this solution would bring along.

Best regards,

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1