Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Spam prevention vs mitigation

From: "Joseph Laico" <LAICO () 0IS US>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 17:56:57 -0400

Sadly, you must be employed by a jackass company. Curtailing spam is
addressable, but eliminating it for good is analogous to telling the
computer it can never be compromosed in the course of its shelf life. As
with all things in life common sense does not always prevail and perception
is why some Bosses should be jelly donut stuffers rather than Supervisors.
Having dealt with so many who lack the skill set and the common sense in
business you learn to accept the dumb more frequently then the smart. SPAM
is an integral part of technology as are Infomercials, and Junk Mail from
the USPS. Whether you categorize it as a nusance, malicious, solicitation,
or just a plain waste of  time and productivity it all amounts to
acknowledging its part of the technology equation. Seldom does anything
change when it comes to the human psyche therefore its impossible to
eliminate it and if you try to hard you may why up creating more of a issue.
The unethical hacker is smart, very smart, do not underestimate his or hers
ability to compromise your platform, painting the target will challenge
someone a lot more savy to breach your platform. Dealing with the
infinitesimal amount of spam you receive daily is acceptable, Postini should
have only 3 to 6 a day let alone hundreds daily. You also run the risk of
the many listings from Grey to Black should you become a target for someones
desire to prove you otherwise, anything I repeat anything given enough time,
resources and passion are thrown at it can be compromised, for every move
there will always be a counter move, tell your Boss you truly don't want to
motivate a hacker to use your platform as the proving grounds. In summation,
tell your Boss he or she is truly a pathetic individual if that's all they
can focus on, surely there are more important issues at hand.

Good Luck,

Joe