Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Spam prevention vs mitigation

From: Champ Clark III <cclark () quadrantsec com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 17:56:16 -0400

On thing to keep in mind (from my own personal experience).

"You can please some of the people some of the time,  but you can't
please all the people all of the time".

That is;  If you make the filters to restrictive,  expect calls about
people "not getting mail".  If you don't make them restrictive enough,
 then expect calls that people are getting spam.

I've _literally_ within a few minute period gotten two calls.  One
person stating that, "You're spam filtering policy it to strict! We're
not getting some emails!".  Then 5 minutes later,  get a call from the
_same_ organization stating,  "I'm getting to much spam, can't you
make the filters _more strict_!".

Damned if you do,  damned if you don't.   You can only try to walk to
fine line as best you can.

Typically I even explain this to people who are complaining.  If
they're complaining about getting a handful of spams (or worst yet,
crap mailing list they signed up for unknowingly),  it makes me want
to scream.

Since they don't "see" the spam they're not getting (usually), you can
offer to "turn if off for a day" and see how they feel about it ! :)