Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: dotLocal Domain

From: Phil Bieber <philbieber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 10:06:22 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 09:21, Haymi Rock <haymirock () googlemail com> wrote:
Hi Guys,
I know my question is a so newbie question, but it's really confusing me.
I don't understand the reason of using the dotLOCAL domain name
instead of dotCOM, beside I don't understand how the communication
occurs to and from the Internet to this kind of DomainName.

Your help is so much appreciated.
best regards,

Simon

Hey Simon,
a dotLocal domain is not for communicating with others. It is just available within your LAN. It is a possibiliy to create an ADS domain or (I think) kerberos realms without having to register your own domain. You can still communicate with others over the internet, but just not using the dotLocal.
Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

Phil Bieber
--
Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber): 0x0185E301
FINGERPRINT: CA81 28C2 E63F DAF8 5ED4 DACB 7C26 EE5B 0185 E301
Philipp Bieber - philbieber () gmail com