Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: dotLocal Domain

From: "Pete.LeMay" <pete.lemay () whro org>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 12:40:16 -0400

The use of a .local is to keep internal DNS records from AD, etc from
being seen by the outside world without the use of multiple .com server.
You could use foo.com internally and externally on different DNS
servers, but updates would have to manually be done on both to keep
internal only records from being seen outside. This is more obfuscation
than security, but why tell people where you domain controllers etc
are...

You end up with a server for foo.com that has your website, mx, etc
records that everyone needs to see and a foo.local internally with all
your records that you only want seen from inside your network.

Be careful with .local and integrating Macs into your network. There are
a couple changes for them to use a .local domain.