Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: dotLOCAL Domain

From: "Daniel A. O'Neal" <doneal () kwintl com>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 10:32:05 -0500

.local is a mostly Microsoft standardized TLD.  Basically it's an unregisterable TLD so you can always have whatever
name you want and have it not conflict with any other domains out on the internet.  You can choose to end your domain
in .com, but if you do already have a .com and your personal network is not internet facing, then you'll have some DNS
confusion.   I.E. running your own DNS locally for AD/internal services, and not going out to the internet to your
other DNS server (if it's hosted elsewhere) for records that only it has.

Think of it this way, mybusiness.local is my AD domain allowing secure AD dns updates, SRV records, etc and isn't
resolvable via the internet, *.mybusiness.com is the internet side of my business, and only contains information
publically about my web server, mail server records, etc, and keeps your network slightly more secure.

As for communication from the internet to this kind of domain name.  You do not communicate directly to .local, e-mails
to/from this domain are routed locally by your exchange server automatically.  You'll create a separate default mailbox
address rule of @yourdomainname.com, which will allow your Exchange server to receive e-mail for that domain as well
(assuming your MX records are pointing to your Exchange server).  You'll want your @yourdomainname.com to be the
Primary E-Mail listed however, you can find docs on the internet about that process, and I believe Exchange setup will
do that for you automatically anyways.

Daniel