Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: File traces

From: dongle <bakerga () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 20:52:33 -0700 (PDT)

i have yet to read that paper, but i know that after i
use truecrpyt from my external usb harddrive, i will
see that the file is in My Recent Documents list
showing the drive letter K:/path and file name

so there is a trace of that file being accessed...even
if you cannot access it any longer, it can be seen
that at some point that file was opened on that drive
letter, and that could be traced back via the registry
settings to what USB device was plugged in and used
that drive letter...

so you would  have to do some backtracking and erase
all this and probably reboot to even clear the ram or
swap tmp files, etc...
--- Brian Johnson <brian.l.johnson () gmail com> wrote:

Yes, see

http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/security/truecrypt.pdf
for some examples of information leakage from even
an encrypted
volume.

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 12:04 AM, Sumeet Narula