Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: File traces

From: "Tiago 'gouki' Faria" <gouki () goukihq org>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 21:01:41 +0100

I believe something will be placed on %tmp%.

Windows Key + R and write %tmp%

Could be wrong though.

-
    .--.
   |o_o |       Tiago 'gouki' Faria [ gouki () goukihq org ]
   |:_/ |
  //   \ \      Jabber: gouki () goukihq org
 (|     | )     WWW: http://goukihq.org
/'\_   _/`\
\___)=(___/

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 11:33 -0400, John Grubb wrote:
Just off the top of my head, I can think of these two things:
1)  Depending on which Office Programs you are talking about, there may be
temporary files placed on the computer itself even though you are working
off the USB drive.  These temp files may be recoverable.
2)  The history of a program will generally show the name and location of
the last files opened by the program.  Even though you remove the USB drive,
the name of the file will show unless you erase the program history.  While
the file itself may be gone (because you removed the USB drive) the name may
be enough to let people know something was there.

John Grubb
President
Keystone Computer Concepts, Inc.
1-877-651-3939