Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Delegating Domain Administration - Win2k3

From: "Salvador III Manaois" <badzmanaois () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 14:01:36 +0800

Hi,

There are a number of guides/WPs on Technet pertaining to this topic,
so please allow me, if you don't mind, to post them here instead of me
ranting off my take on this topic.

For starters:

Best Practice Guide for Securing Active Directory Installations

Best Practices for Delegating Active Directory Administration (Windows
Server 2003)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=631747A3-79E1-48FA-9730-DAE7C0A1D6D3&displaylang=en

MS Exchange 2003 Permissions FAW
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa995794(EXCHG.65).aspx

Planning FSMO Roles in AD
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223346
http://www.petri.co.il/planning_fsmo_roles_in_ad.htm

With regards to your question on how to spread admin permissions,
always work on the concept of Least-privileged User Account (LUA) and
provide only what is needed for an admin to do his work (for example,
delegating only the requisite rights to the OUs an admin is
administering like resetting of passwords, adding objects to the OU;
think twice before giving full rights on the OU to the admin).

Bandwith may indeed be an issue for your setup if you do not plan for
a proper AD sites design, server placement and replication topology.

Regards,

...badz...
Salvador Manaois III
MCSE MCSA CEH MCITP | Enterprise/Server Admin
Bytes & Badz : http://badzmanaois.blogspot.com