Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Hard Drive Forensics Question

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 13:00:45 +1000

Sorry to be a pedant on this:

I assumed minimal knowledge, I figured that copying, pasting, deleting,
and repeating would be the method that anyone could understand.

The copy/paste/delete process that you are describing still doesn't make
sense to me. Perhaps you could give an example of what the process is?
If you run something like dd then I don't really know where the copy and
paste bit comes into it. Running dd needs nothing more than knowing how to
open a terminal window and man dd(minimal knowledge). Understanding what it
does exactly and what you will be left with after a destructive command such
as
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdax
is probably a bit harder but not much.

Delete it so as to be able to write over it again. Multiple
write-overs ensure that no data may be recovered.

I'd disagree with the above and say that a single overwrite is more than
enough. No need to delete(still don't see what you would gain from deleting
something that has been already overwritten) and then repeating seems like a
waste of time and cycles. Don't take my word for it, take NIST's:
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-88/NISTSP800-88_rev1.pdf

Making sure the command has completed is the thing to be confident of,
however. That is my caveat here.

You could even use dcfldd (I think there is a port for OSX) if you want to
see progress etc.

And why do you feel that random is better?

If it is actual files that are copied, they may be recovered.
Depending on the nature of those files, opinions could be made either
way. If it's random data, nothing can be retrieved and they are left
with nothing to work with. If they are accusing him of wrong-doing
that he is innocent of, he should leave them with as little as
possible to work with, in my opinion.

Maybe I should have asked, "Why do you feel that random is better than
something else eg 0's?"

I don't think it matters whether it's random or not-overwrite something and
it's overwritten. Which means it's unrecoverable. Some apps will overwrite
with random numbers. Eg DBAN
If someone sees a pattern in the hard drive after I do
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdax
because it's not random they would be right. It's not random. However, can
they see any files I had on there before? No.